Re: IBM eServer (xSeries) and HotSwap

Hello Aaron Thoreson,

> It has been my experience that is the RAID controller's job to
> manage that.  All of our xSeries hardware has had IBM ServeRAID
> cards that you manage with a utility CD or Java application once
> you're up and running.  Many also come with an onboard QLogic card,
> but you must configure that with an onboard BIOS option at bootup.

I have already configured the Raid-1 but I will have a second look  into
the BIOS and the QLogic suff, which is installed.  I know,  that  I  can
configure the THing from Windos using a  Software,  but  does  the  JAVA
Stuff work on Debian and can it make workable over the LOCAL network?

I like to update my Admin Server to have only one Machine to login.

> We've never had to do anything special under Debian to make

Me too up to now.

> hot-swappable drives work, but we've always had these RAID cards or
> onboard controllers.  Never trusted software RAID...  There's no
> battery :)

My words.  ;-)

My two biggest machines are running each 4 Adaptec AAC-364 (240 HDDs  in
total per server) and have not leaved me since  years...  and  was  less
expensive as a "Ready-To-Use" IBM or Sun.  (one of them  is  my  private
Debian Archive Server)

> Aaron

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack

itsystems@tdnet France EURL       itsystems@tdnet UG (limited liability)
Owner Michelle Konzack            Owner Michelle Konzack

Apt. 917 (homeoffice)
50, rue de Soultz                 Kinzigstraße 17
67100 Strasbourg/France           77694 Kehl/Germany
Tel: +33-6-61925193 mobil         Tel: +49-177-9351947 mobil
Tel: +33-9-52705884 fix

<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/>  <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/>         <http://www.can4linux.org/>

Jabber linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de