Re: e1000e problem [resending-unfinished message]

Xavier Cardil wrote:
Hello, we are a VoIP service provider and we use debian in all of our systems. We recently installed two new debian 5 stable servers for asterisk, and we are having problems with the e1000e driver. The network interface suddenly goes down and stops working. I will specify :

Kernel version : 2.6.26-1-amd64 #1 SMP Fri Mar 13 17:46:45 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Are you using the driver supplied with the kernel, or did you get the one from sourceforge?

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=42302&package_id=272252

I just got a Dell Optiplex 760 which has this. The Squeeze install CD picks up the card fine, but once you boot into the OS, something else screws it up. If you install the latest kernel build (2.6.30) and add hpet=disable, it works (found on the net) but that prevents me from building the fglrx driver.

So I downloaded the sourceforge driver, and modified e1000e-0.5.18.3/src/Makefile, replacing:

INSTDIR := /lib/modules/$(KVER)/kernel/drivers/net/$(DRIVER_NAME)

with

INSTDIR := /lib/modules/$(KVER)/update/kernel/drivers/net/$(DRIVER_NAME)

and run make & make install

This puts the driver outside the kernel tree.

modprobe -r e1000e & modprobe e1000e

and all is well.

Hope that helps!

--kj