Re: VirtualHost bandwidth management

hello,

Steven Jacobs wrote:

> Sure, but we're moving to a solution where we can provide shared hosting
> for a huge amount of users. We'll scale as we go. Up until now we've
> only provided hosting for a handful of users, and your strategy worked.

usually per-vhost bandwith management with huge amount of vhost require
very very very huge investments on hardware (and infrasctructures, of
course), that's why many hosting company prefer other way to limits users;

1) no limits on the tech side, but if you user is using so much resource
that it's creating problmes you may block him (as it's stated in the
AUP he accepted)

2) bottlenek limitations, eg put all the customers with the same sla on
the same server (or group of servers) and let them to fight for the
resources (of course more the money the customer give you less the
number of concurrent users you put on a single server)

3) commercially limit the amount ot traffic (how many gigabyte per
month) and not the bandwidth (megabit per seconds); of course you have
to disable the user (or bill him the extra) when the user exceed his
allocated traffic.

if you have huge amount of users you also have to use a big number of
servers with some load balancer in front of them, so if you have to use
bandwidth limit per-vhost you have to put this limits on the load
balancer (or on a further inline device/server) not on the apache, but
as for as I know, there is no opensource reverse-proxy able to manage
huge amount of traffic with L7 bandwith management enabled

--
bye,
emilio