Re: Solid State Hard Drives

On 8 okt 2009, at 02:06, Glenn Hocking wrote:

Hi List

Had anyone had experience using Solid State Hard disks in mail servers? I've heard that Solid State is very fast but not good for high read/ write
functions such as mail servers as the drives wear out over time.

Be keen on any real world experience. Our mail servers have around 5000 mail
accounts.

Hi Glenn,

Some general advice: be sure to look for SLC-based flash drives, as opposed to MLC which is typically used in cheaper drives. SLC has way less problems with wear, and MLC suffers from relatively slow writes, which will be a problem when you're using them in a mailserver.

Regards,

Maarten