Re: ssh problem

hi,

I've read all the responses to this email, but it is still unclear to me if described behavior could be the result of a damaged ethernet cable. The logic would be that smaller packets have higher chances of getting through, both on initial send event and when re-sending non-ACKed packets. I could be totally wrong here, so that is why I'm asking.

I had recently deteriorating link quality to my server, which manifested itself as rising (on the scale of dozens of hours) percentage of lost packets when running mtr or ping from my server to some external server. This had finally led to complete loss of connectivity. I did get higher link reliability by decreasing link speed to 10MBps, I haven't tried MTU though. Link was fixed by tech support doing something either to the patch-panel or a patch-cord between the server and patch-panel.

> hi all,
>
> having a problem since a few months and i cant really figure it out.
>
> i have a debian machine standing in China and i connect from Europe, so
> going over there just for this is slightly cumbersome.
>
> i did have some driver issues in the past but after replacing the
> network cards it worked fine.
>
> At the moment:
> i can login using SSH and issue commands.
> but when opening a file or starting top the screen goes black until the
> connection times out, reset by peer.
>
> i can copy files to the machine using SCP but i can not copy them back,
> it stalls until the time out.
>
> a website is hosted on the machine and you can connect to it but it
> keeps on waiting for the server till the morning comes.
>
> the machines acts as a router for a local LAN, eth1 faces the LAN and
> eth0 faces the net, no problems for the people on the LAN
>
> not sure what it is but my first suspect would be the firewall/routing,
> i use shorewall.
>
> so, before i try disabling the firewall etc... to see if it has any
> results and risk losing the working LAN part of the story i wonder if
> somebody here has a clue on what it could be.
>
> Thanks anyways,
>
> Randall

Лучший хостинг от $3.45
Домен в подарок - www.hostpro.ua