Re: ISPmail Lenny tutorial ready

Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Seth Mattinen wrote:
>>> Logs, but I don't use the ancient version Debian ships with. Examples
>>> from my logs:
>>>
>>> dovecot: POP3(xxx@xxx.com): Disconnected: Logged out top=0/0,
>>> retr=0/0, del=0/60, size=28331635
>>> dovecot: IMAP(@xxx.co.uk): Disconnected in IDLE bytes=294/526
>>> IMAP(xxx@xxx.com): Disconnected for inactivity bytes=749/10824
>>> dovecot: IMAP(xxx@xxx.com): Disconnected: Logged out bytes=285/20363
>>>
>> And here's a POP3 connection where someone actually downloaded a message:
>>
>> POP3(xxx@xxx.com): Disconnected: Logged out top=0/0, retr=1/1782735,
>> del=0/488, size=90072431
>>
>> ~Seth

Hi Seth,

Sorry to go back on this subject, but as of writing, I have totally
rewrote our mysqmail tool (which is written in C, for obvious
performance reasons), and it will soon be uploaded to Debian. We first
used a fifo, but it's a bad idea, as you need to modify the
syslogd.conf, which doesn't integrate well at all with the distribution.
So I just popen() a tail -F -n 0 /var/log/syslog, and read from that
stream. So far, so good.

I'm currently working on the dovecot version. Issue here is that I need
to know the exact meaning of:

bytes=464/1270 (at the end of an IMAP session)

and

size=4030 (at the end of a POP3 session)

I guess that 464 is the number of bytes sent, and 1270 the amount
received. Am I right? Also, for the size=, is it the total read + sent?

I'm currently working with these assumption in mind, and I'll patch if
you tell me that I'm wrong. Later, maybe you'll want to have a look at
my work, and use these tiny daemons? :)

Thomas