Re: ISP Design validation and questions

"Michael Goetze" <mgoetze@mgoetze.net> Ecrivait:

>> 3° If there is a problem on the path between a server and the master
>> firewall (for example, port down on the switch), assuming that I set up
>> arp_ip_target and arp_interval options
>>
>> of the bonding module, will the server start using its other interface
>> to get another path ?
>
> Linux Bonding will switch the active interface even without the arp
> options, when the link goes down.

Currently, That's a very important part for me. I were told that using
either VRRP or ethernet
bonding, I will get one single virtual mac address. So in both case, server
or firewalls won't need
to update their arp table because the matching virtual mac -> ip adress will
stay valid.
Therefore, the question would be : what is going to happen in order to
update automatically the mac table
on switches ?

Another question :
If I don't use arp options, my ethernet bonding will only be carrier sense,
no ? If I want it to
test the complete path to the firewalls and switch to the other interface if
the path faill, I should
use those options, correct ?

>> 5° What do you think about the switch choice, any suggestion ?
>
> How is this different from Question 1?

Simple mistake, sorry.

> Regards,
> Michael