Awstats and apache2-mpm-itk

I try to get awstats working with apache2-mpm-itk, but when I access the
site I get this message:
Service Temporarily Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to
maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

And this is what I see in the error.log:
Permission denied: unable to connect to cgi daemon after multiple tries:

When I su to the user what Apache is running, I don't get a permission
denied when executing /usr/lib/cgi-bin/awstats.pl.

In apache2.conf I have this:
Alias /awstatsclasses "/usr/share/awstats/lib/"
Alias /awstats-icon/ "/usr/share/awstats/icon/"
Alias /awstatscss "/usr/share/doc/awstats/examples/css"
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
ScriptAlias /awstats/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
<Directory /usr/lib/cgi-bin>
  Options ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
#   Options ExecCGI -MultiViews +FollowSymLinks

I have also tried the version with "+FollowSymLinks".

I found this message:
The solution was to disable cgid by removing the symlinks to
rm /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/cgid.conf
rm /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/cgid.load

But then I get an popup what says "filetype unknown", and tell me to
download awstats.pl.

What could be wrong?

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.