Re: Fwd: SMTP Server

On Tue Feb 24, 2009 at 07:10:06 +1100, Daniel Hood wrote:

> I'm building a medium-sized business network, with a few internal and
> external webservers, an exchange server, a couple of IDS's and even a
> network management system. Most (if not all) of these servers, require
> an SMTP server in some way or form. Whether its to reset a users
> password via email, or send an alert that a link has gone down.

> I'm wondering, whats the best way to configure an SMTP(s) server for
> this, both easily to setup and manage but also securely.

  If you're already installing, and expecting to use, Microsoft
 Exchange then why not relay mail there?

  On all the machines I maintain, for example, I have a single
 mailserver and I just configure each system to mail:

    lists-root@lists.example.com

  That way all root messages to to a single mailing list where
 different staff members, or people, can view them.

  If you install ssmtp, nullmailer, or similar on each of the
 boxes that's sufficient to route outgoing mails - theres no
 need to run SMTP service to receive mail on the boxes, surely?

Steve
--
Managed Anti-Spam Service
http://mail-scanning.com/