Re: Maildir backup

On 27/01/2009, at 3:45 PM, Oliver Hitz wrote:

On 27 Jan 2009, Andrew Miehs wrote:
IIRC, we had a problem with dump if you didn't use snapshots -
it would backup half open files, etc, etc.

Oh I see I didn't know there were problems with dump. Maybe I didn't run into the same issues because I migrated my maildir partitions to xfs. So
to be correct I use xfsdump rather than dump.

to be more precise, iirc - dump creates on startup, a list of blocks which
it wants to dumps, and then goes off and writes them to a file. Should
some operation on the filesystem change/ move some of those blocks after the 'internal list' has been created, and before that block has been written to the file, you will
end up with garbage in your dumps.

The freebsd version of dump does NOT have this problem - I am pretty sure this was due to the filesystem - and them using some form of snapshotting,
but this was as I said, about 1 year ago that I looked at this.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Best regards,

Andrew