Re: load balanced nic

On Sep 28, 2008, at 10:41 AM, PÁSZTOR György wrote:

<slightly-offtopic>
Common problem, when some moron come to here with bridging enabled in
his/her notebook, and connect to an access port, and then that alternative
OS, whichs name is not spoken - the evil one :-D - starts to send PDUs
towards the access port, and then it's change its state to err- disabled.
When they come to me for complain about the unreliable network, I tell
them, what they did: From my viewpoint, they accross the network policy, so they can be happy, that I still allow them to connect, and re-allow the
err-disabled port.
</slightly-offtopic>

Sure seems a lot easier to built a proper Spanning-Tree hierarchy that blocks only when necessary and unblocks automatically when the condition clears (no "err-disabled" if the problem has cleared itself)?

Yes! That's another correct observation! If a device doesn't comply a
standard which is so obvios, than what can do wrong too?
And the other observation is also correct: If you do too many hacks on your network, it's usually undocumented, and it cause many other problems when
you connect devices which works correctly, and comply the standards.

As far as "hacks" on the network. All comments regarding hard-coding a port ASSUME that the network admin actually knows how to keep and use proper documentation techniques, and is also MONITORING such things via SNMP from the switches, to note inappropriate speed/rate changes.

If you're not in control of your network BEFORE messing with hard- coding things, OF COURSE you'll find this to be a "hack" later when your brain can't remember what you did years ago.

In a properly documented network, hard-setting or autonegotiation aren't "hacks" they're just another setting in the documentation and monitoring systems.

--
Nate Duehr
nate@natetech.com