Re: SAN solution wanted

Hi Jean-Paul,

On Wed, June 11, 2008 02:48, Jean-Paul Blaquiere wrote:
> It seems you are talking about a particular vendor, and then haven't
> named them ;)

Um, actually no, because I couldn't say anything, due to my lack of
experience. So I've hoped to get a few names from this list :-)

But I should have emphasized the *small* in "small network" (hello,
Héctor!). My current favourites are WDG2T20000[0], which comes with 2TB
(minimum of storage I'd like to have) and Firewire, which hopefully will
work with the Mac Mini I'd like to attach.

The second one is from LaCie, again with 2TB and FW. Oh, by now it should
be clear that I'm not an ISP, but it's really a smallish home network :-\

> I have had some little experience attempting to get low end IBM kit
> working with Debian and RedHat.  It was not much fun.  The less crap IBM
> kit, was however, much easier. Do not attempt anything with the DS3400
> (SAS).  It has brain dead
> controllers. The DS4300 and DS4700 series kit (FC), however, much less
> pain. In particular, multipath-tools work rather well.

Hm, FC is no good for me, I think, I'd like to get this done with
Firewire, USB as a second choice, but I heard FW is more stable for
storage paths.

> What kind of price range are you looking in?

the lower end :-) Hm, I would've hoped to stay below ~500 EUR. But with
NAS more common in the SOHO sector, it's hard to find a not-so-cheap
SAN-like solution.

Thanks,
Christian.

[0] http://www.westerndigital.com/de/products/products.asp?driveid=342