Re: Xen question

Stephen Gran schreef:
> This one time, at band camp, Paul van der Vlis said:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have some questions about Xen:
>>
>> - I have installed an AMD64 Xen machine with Etch. In unstable I don't
>> see Xen-AMD64 kernels anymore. Is there a change that Xen-AMD64 support
>> will be dropped?
>
> Kernels > 2.6.18 do not support Xen dom0 on any architecture, as far as
> I'm aware.

Will this not do it?
http://packages.debian.org/sid/linux-image-2.6.25-2-xen-686

So far I know, the kernel from kernel.org allready have support for
domU's since kernel 2.6.23. Why would there be a special xen-kernel if
the normal kernel allready supports it?

>> - I see that my amd64-guest has only one CPU, but it is a multicore
>> machine. Will I use only one core?
>
> It depends on how many CPUs you export to the guest.  See your config
> file for how many you export.

I've tried to change the "VCPU" in de guest, but it still sees 1 CPU.
Maybe there is no SMP support for the guest?

>> - When I reboot my machine, the guests boot nicely. But when I have a
>> power loss and the power returns, the guests do not start. What will be
>> wrong?
>
> This I don't know - if you have the config files in /etc/xen/auto
> the guests should boot on startup no matter why it went down.

I saw in the configfile:

on_poweroff = 'destroy'
on_reboot   = 'restart'
on_crash    = 'restart'

Maybe a power loss is managed with "on_poweroff", I will check that.

>> - I have a time-problem. The time in my Xen guests is 2 hours earlier
>> then in the domO. I have a correct /etc/timezone in both. I have now
>> made them independend with /proc/sys/xen/independent_wallclock, but I
>> would prefer to user them synchronised. But how?
>
> I'm guesing you're +/- 2hours from UTC?

Yes ;-)

> Run tzconfig in the domU.  For some reason this bites me fairly often
> when bootstrapping a new guest.   I guess something doesn't work right
> in the debootstrap environment and it has to be cleaned up manually
> afterwards.

You are right, thanks. I also found that you can do this in Lenny/Sid
with "dpkg-reconfigure tzdata" (I have the same problem in a Sid chroot).

So far I know, the kernel Xen-stuff comes from from Fedora. Fedora 9 is
released, but the Xen stuff was not ready:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XenPvops

Thanks for your help!

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.