Re: Backup of an courier-imap mailarchive

Hi,

Mike Bird wrote:
On Mon May 26 2008 06:44:51 Michelle Konzack wrote:
Am 2008-05-25 20:41:03, schrieb Maarten Vink:
1) Build a script that splits up the backup in several rsync runs,
for example by starting rsync for each user instead of the entire
mailspool

This is already done but there are 4 "archive" user which hold over
90% of the whole Mailstorage...

We have a lot of daily rsyncs, one of them 360GB, and they only
take a few minutes unless a lot has changed.  Could this be an
ext3 filesystem built long ago without dir_index?

Okay, I just checked mine with dumpe2fs and it showed that whilst I didn't specify dir_index, it was a feature in use.

When did this start being a standard feature?

I know that I do rsync backups on the hour as it works extremely well, I may increase the frequency given how well it performs for my system [which isn't high end by any stretch]. I am thinking about doing 4 rsync backups per hour with each one operating on a different backup area so that I can easily go back to any file changed or deleted less than 1 hour ago, I may even do 8 over 2 hours. Certainly rsynce works very well for my needs on my ext3 file system. I'm not currently concerned about using anything that is Maildir specific (and aware), but that might come later.

Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan
Broadband Solutions now including VoIP