Re: Backup of an courier-imap mailarchive

Op 25 mei 2008, om 19:51 heeft Michelle Konzack het volgende geschreven:

Am 2008-05-25 23:49:31, schrieb Thomas Goirand:
Why did you prefer such solution over something like dirvish for
example? It does rsync incremental backup every day, and I don't believe
it would take 100% of your CPU.

Because "rsync" has not only eaten my CPU to 100% but also the Memory...

Rsync tends to use a lot of memory for larger filesystems because it loads the entire filesystem tree in memory before connecting to the destination host. There are two ways to fix this:

1) Build a script that splits up the backup in several rsync runs, for example by starting rsync for each user instead of the entire mailspool 2) Try rsync 3.0; it has a "quickstart" mode that starts synchronizing files before the entire filesystem is read, saving huge amounts of memory. Rsync 3 is available in the backports collection.

Maarten