Re: Backup of an courier-imap mailarchive

Michelle Konzack wrote:

On my "business" mailserver (courier-imap) I have 43 users (some of them
as On-Line-Archive), together over  42.000  mailfolders  and  17.000.000
messages stored and each month  we  get  1800  mailfolders  and  150.000
messages more.  The total volume is arround 180 GByte. (real not blocks)

Currently I run a daily plus weekly cronjob with a selfmade script which
check first the /cur/ directories and if it does not match a  previously
created MD5 + directory listing it will backuped.  Daily incremental and
weekly full.

The daily incremental backup take arround 5 hours and the weekly full
backup arround 8 hours.

OK, the BaSH script works very fast but there is a problem with it...

It take 100% CPU resources...  and it is nearly  impossibel  to  connect
via IMAP to the server since the connection times out...  :-(

The best way is it to make backups of your filesystem based on block level technologies e.g. with LVM. Snapshots based on block level doesn't care about file and directory quantity.

There was an article - sorry, in German only - in the iX-Magazin in 2004 (<http://www.heise.de/kiosk/archiv/ix/04/10/136_Im_Blitzlicht>).

--
Greetings
Jörg Backschues