best way to remotely manage user credentials

Hello
I would like to hear some word in my problem.
I have X servers with pam authentication and  ssh daemon.
People use ftp servers and run their applications but there should be
one central server that will manage passwords and users.

I would like to use something like

/usr/bin/changepassword <server_address> <user> <newpassword>

there's no problem writing such thing with bash and ssh keys but maybe
someone knows better solution ?

regards
WZ

--
Wojciech Ziniewicz
Unix SEX :{look;gawk;find;sed;talk;grep;touch;finger;find;fl