Re: xen domU + vlan

Wojciech Ziniewicz schreef:
> Hi,
> i can't get XEN domU + vlan to work.
> Here's what i have [*] in my sample virtual machine .
> On running v. machine i add vlan with : vconfig add eth0 123 , correct
> device is created. I give it an adress and there seems to be no
> contact with the rest of the vlan (e.g. router gateway).
> I saw many tutorials with bridging interfaces etc. but i would like to
> do it the simplest way.
> Logically thinking it should be just available by adding eth0.123 to
> the bridge created by xend bridge script that connects all the v.
> machines together [**]  but it's not.
> When i add the vlan device to the vlan created by xend, my machines
> are no longer available from the LAN. The error message is attached
> below  [***]
>
> Regards, and thank You for your help,
> Wojtek
>

> [*]
>
> root@xenhyp00:/etc/xen# cat app00.cfg
> #
> #  Configuration file for the Xen instance app00, created on
> # Sun Nov 23 20:41:46 2008.
> #
>

> #
> #  Kernel + memory size
> #
> kernel  = '/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-6-xen-amd64'
> ramdisk = '/boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-6-xen-amd64'
> vcpus = '2'
> memory  = '4096'
>

> #
> #  Disk device(s).
> #
> root    = '/dev/sda1 ro'
>
> disk    = [ 'file:/home/xen/domains/app00/disk.img,sda1,w',
> 'file:/home/xen/domains/app00/swap.img,sda2,w' ]
>
> #
> #  Hostname
> #
> name    = 'app00'
>

> #
> #  Networking
> #
> vif  = [ 'ip=91.209.63.30' ]
>
> #
> #  Behaviour
> #
> on_poweroff = 'destroy'
> on_reboot   = 'restart'
> on_crash    = 'restart'
>

> [**]
>
> root@xenhyp00:/etc/xen# brctl show
> bridge name     bridge id               STP enabled     interfaces
> xenbr0          8000.feffffffffff       no              vif0.0
>                                                         peth0
>                                                         vif2.0
>                                                         vif3.0
>                                                         vif4.0
>
> [***]
> vif0.0: received packet with  own address as source address

I am running Xen under Lenny, so maybe it's a bit different.
I am using eth1 where other people are using eth0.

xen:/etc/xen# brctl show
xenbr0          8000.00304893503d       no              eth1
                                                        vif16.0
                                                        vif19.0
                                                        vif32.0
                                                        vif37.0
                                                        vif40.0

This is in my /etc/network/interfaces:
----------
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto xenbr0
iface xenbr0 inet static
   bridge_ports eth1
   address 91.198.178.10
   netmask 255.255.255.0
   broadcast 91.198.178.255
   gateway 91.198.178.1
-------

Laurent Léonard wrote me this manual for testing purposes:
---------------
# Shut down the network
/etc/init.d/networking stop

# At this time ifconfig should only show you the loopback interface and
the routing table should be empty.

# Create the bridge
brctl addbr xenbr0

# Add the physical interface to the bridge
brctl addif xenbr0 eth1

# Set up network configuration for the bridge (and automatically add the
route to the local network)
ifconfig xenbr0 91.198.178.3/24

# Turn the state of eth1 into learning
ifconfig eth1 up

# Now you should be able to communicate with your local network

# Add the default route to get Internet access
route add -net default gw YOUR_GATEWAY

# Now you should be able to communicate with Internet

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
http://www.vandervlis.nl/