INIT: no more processes left in this run level

greetings to all this is my error
INIT: no more processes left in this run level

my debian 3.4  is locking on this fault, the only way i can get in to debian is the fale safe startup

I switched off all services and still no go I will try and get a system log file but cannot even ftp onto the server

can any one suggest where and how do i start to repair this

NB: its aN ide hard drive and yes I have scanned for errors on the drive NONE

THANK YOU

OLIVER