Re: load balanced nic

On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 10:33 +0200, PÁSZTOR György wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "Mr Shunz" <mrshunz@gmail.com> írta 2008-09-24 13:43-kor:
> > > Actually the switch is outside managed so i cannot myself make any changes.
> > >  I do know it is set to 100 full.  The switch does show errors on it also.
> > >

> > cisco equipment likes fixed ports ... it *should* be enough to fix your
> > nics with ethtool like ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off
> >
> Could you show us some proof for this, otherwise I have to assume, that
> this is a nonsense urban legend.
> I have tons of 2950s and 3750s at my workplace which is maintained by me,
> but there is no fixed ports in the whole building.

It is quite common practise to set the ports to what you need so that
the auto-negotiation does not get it wrong, in particular setting half
duplex instead of full duplex. This is not so common when its
"cisco connected to cisco", but very common when its "cisco connected to
some other brand".

Shane