Re: Jabber Server Selection

Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
On Aug 25, 2008, at 4:00 PM, Ing. Otto Marroquin wrote:
We are about to install a Jabber server.   We have chosen ejabberd.
The factors we judge were:
1.  Stardards compliant

On 28.08.08 00:49, Nate Duehr wrote:
ASCII text and "wall" is a standard too. LOL. Standards change. It won't matter in a year or two, maybe three at the most.

it does matter now, all compliant clients should work with it. It's easier
(and better) to explain that client does not work, because it violates the
standard, than it does not work because it does not (but server does).

Yeah, because telling off your users when they're just trying to get something done gains everyone. (Rolls eyes.)

Claiming "standards" over "getting things done" in business is counter-productive. Ask your bosses which they'd prefer and what they think they "pay the IT guys" for.

Not saying standards are bad in any way, just saying keep the old phrase in mind... "Standards are great. There's so many of them, everyone can have their own!", as you muddle through to find a good SOLUTION for your users. Their BUSINESS needs trump standards unless you can get both... that's a bonus.

5.  Easy and secure web administration.
Finally, a real requirement!

funny, I'd be carefull just here. I prefer possibility of editing
configuration file, with optional web administration as a bonus :)

LOL!

Nate WY0X