Re: SATA drive reccomendations for reliablity (server use)

Drives go bad. Some drives go bad sooner than others. In our experience right now drives in teh 250-500GB range have a pretty high reliability if they're perpendicular recording, 120-160 if your'e talking about linear drives. Many manufacturers now make "Enterprise" editions of their drives which (at least supposedly) have a much higher MTBF. Either due to higher initial quality rating, or software/firmware differences that cause them to be more cautious in how they write data.

I wouldn't go over 500GB for enterprise needs right now. Also, remember that these large drives are relatively slow. The IOs/Gb and MB/s/Gb has gone down drastically, not up. So if you've any sort of I/O intensive application you might want too look at still smaller spindles, and more of them (and yes, at an increased $/Gb, $/Gb is obviously NOT the only measurement)