Re: Managing disperse servers

Hi, Mario, others --

On 16 Jun 2008, at 18:22, Mario Spinthiras wrote:
What I wanted to let you know about is that it would only be reasonable to take geographical location into consideration while managing servers. One good reason would be the repositories each machine has for its updates. You wouldn't have US repositories if you had a machine in Japan would you. My 2p.

This is a subject that has always interested me because I have often been in a role where it has been my job to grow organizational capacity (and therefore server infrastructures) from a handful of servers to racks and racks of servers. Each time I did this I tended to put something different in, because the system basically has to cope with the culture of the organisation and skills inside tech teams.

Since this is an isp list ;-) you should be able to build intelligence into your network that coped with the challenges you describe. e.g. if you have clusters across the world, then deploying anycast segments in every one of your POPs that hosted a local apt-cache, or dns resolver that pointed an identical hostname for sources.list to the country specific debian repository, then this should go a long way towards promoting homogeny in your packaging configuration.

PS If you do find something of a more to a "turnkey" solution on managing servers in a centralized manner , please share its capabilities since this would be something very interesting.

I have always found it worked best to work with Debian, when building site-specific additions for Debian. The sanest way to manage configuration is to package up your config files into .deb packages and put them into a central repository. e.g. use split config-files wherever possible (e.g. Exim, Apache), and roll out your config additions via packages that create new files inside the conf.ds for each application.

Hope that makes some sense.  Comments appreciated.

Andy

--
Best wishes, Andy Davidson
Tech Director, NetSumo Ltd., www.netsumo.com