Re: [OT] ATX-PSU and amperage on connectors...

Hello Henrique,

Am 2008-03-08 14:19:38, schrieb Henrique de Moraes Holschuh:
> Well, it looks like what I learned on graduation near ten years ago still
> holds.  If you are going to look for the best chips to do something, you
> will find stuff that is MUCH better than what you get in consumer goods.

:-/

> And it is not even that more expensive, it's just that every cent counts
> when you are doing runs of hundreds of thousands parts at a cut-throath
> margin :p

But if I pay e.g. 35 Euro for a 420Watt CobaKing which has an efficiency
of arround 78% and count the Energy, I pay more because the bad
efficiency I can build my own PSU and I have only to find peoples which
want to share with me arround 150 of them, then all what I have invested
is payed except the Infrared-Soldering Station...

> That should be trivial to do in Europe.  I don't know about cheap, but you
> should be able to just directly ask the manufacturers of professional
> soldering equipment for a number of resellers, and start asking around for
> prices.  Now, if you want it used for much better prices, then yes, it will
> take some doing to find one :-)

It seems, there is only ONE big manufacturer for it: AOYUE

AOYUE-710	1950 Euro	Infrared Welding System
AOYUE-720	1999 Euro	SMD Reworkstation, IR Welding System
AOYUE-BGA9000	9999 Euro	IR-Station, Welding System for BGA-Components

<Ggmpf>

Now I am looking into professionel auctions where such equipment is sold.

> Make sure they are very stable under spiked loads, that's when the RAM chips
> start flipping bits :p  Some don't work well in either extremes of the load
> curve either, and that can be a factor (you might end up needing two 5V
> regulators, one that powers up the boards, and another that powers up the
> disks, for example, to have the more critical load (boards) that has also
> less variance, on a more "tunned" regulator).

This is, what I already do...

<http://freenet-homepage.de/linux4michelle/electronica/24V_DC_Modular_ATX_PSU.html>

> > Currently I have my Opteron 140 running on a test installation...
>
> Just remember that if you use mobile CPUs or chipsets, than can do even more
> drastic power load changes than an Opteron (which doesn't even try to
> conserve power very much, to begin with).

:-)

If I fire up my Opteron, it is the same, as attaching a 10.000µF Elko to
each output and do a coldstart...  (The ATXV12 spec is taking about a
6000µF pig on the 12V1 and 12V2 but I do not have such Electrolyt
Condensators...  Only the "a little bit" bigger ones)

> BTW, depending on what you need to do with the embedded computer, have you
> looked at the stuff from routerboard.com and similar vendors?  They are much

I have already bought from routerboard (the 4-Port VIA-Rhine)...

> friendlier to embedded and custom designs than a standard PC motherboard.

But very expensive!  And of course, since I have up to eight 2"5 E5K/E7K
drives in some of my computers I have to buld my own PSU anyway...

> Do you have any photos of the glue on the planar card that we could add to
> thinkwiki?  The harware hacks section of thinkwiki looks too feeble right
> now :-)

???  --  I am missing something?
Hmm and no, I do not have photos of it.

> By ready-made, I mean in a dust-tight, air-tight, water-tight extruded metal
> container with a few wires sticking out of it, and a 5-year warranty with a
> better than 20-year MTBF :-)

Unfortunatly they have not more then 40Watt (the 24V Types)

    <http://www.recom-international.de/>

and VERY expensive!

    24V  =>  3.3V/12,1A
    24V  =>  5.0V/8A
    24V  =>  12V/3.3A

arround 75 Euros per DC-DC-Converter but very high eficiency.

> They won't last nearly as long as they could if the charger supervisor
> doesn't do thermal compensation (if you can't somehow make sure the
> batteries are always at 25°C), proper burst and float charging control, etc.

Thats right...  and it is more worse sinc I want o go to Morocco or
Turkey which have a little bit different temperatres then Germany
or France.

> There are good lead-acid gauge chips out there I think (it is at least three
> years since I looked at battery gauge chips), that can do it all for you.

I know, but this is for the charger (second project) I build.

> If you can monitor each battery, instead of the bank, that's much better
> too.  You get to notice one is going bad before it damages the entire
> battery bank.

The problem is, if you whatch each battery seperatly, how do you choose
shunt resistors?  I can have up to 250A...  divided by 10 battery sets
are only 25A each, but if a battery die I run into problems...

This mean, I have to protect each battery with o Power-MOSFET and
full current control...  Something a little bit to big for a DS80C404,
which mean, we are back by a ARM with nice CF-Card and bigger memory
and Debian GNU/Linux on it...

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    reading into the "ARM11 Technical Reference Manual" of 836 Pages
    (the 350 pages from ARM922T are already eaten)

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)