Re: ghost files and error code 13 (mysql binlog files)

Hi,

On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 19:53 +0000, mimo wrote:
>  ?--------- ? ?     ?            ?                ? /var/log/mysql/bin.000744
>  ?--------- ? ?     ?            ?                ? /var/log/mysql/bin.000774
>
> # stat /var/log/mysql/bin.000744
>  stat: cannot stat `/var/log/mysql/bin.000744': Permission denied
>
> This is a reiserfs filesystem on Linux 2.6.18-5-686 #1 SMP Wed Oct 3 00:12:50
> UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux (debian/etch)

I have seen symptoms like this before and it has been a sign of reiserfs
corruption.  I would suggest something along the lines of:

* ensure your backups are current
* unmount the partition
* fsck.reiserfs --check <device>

This will either tell you that there are fixable corruptions, so run:

* fsck.reiserfs --fix-fixable <device>

Or it will report fatal corruptions, in which case run:

* fsck.reiserfs --rebuild-tree <device>

The output from --fix-fixable may also tell you that it couldn't fix
everything and you need to run --rebuild-tree as well.  Also if
--fix-fixable doesn't seem to do the trick, you may need to try
--rebuild-tree anyway.

* remount partition

I do suggest you "man fsck.reiserfs" before doing any of this.

The fsck.reiserfs runs will take a while on a large partition and may
require (multiple) confirmation during the process to save their
changes.

Please be aware that while I've never seen --rebuild-tree make things
worse, I've heard reports from people who have!  Make sure you have
backups.

Simon