Re: two bind9 masters

2007/10/10, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org>:
> There are none, *as long as* you are completely sure the two name servers
> will always be in sync, i.e. whatever you use to send zone files to them
> must work well.

One server is managed through ISPconfig software. It has about 80
domains in it now , and works well but for the production use (we're
now preparing for moving from QA to prod.) there must be 2 or more DNS
servers for those domains. As the old servers will be shut down, new
servers must take their role.

I've managed to modify ISPconfig to manage it's own DNS master server
as well as any slave server (simple ssh-based commandline scripting )
but for an existing 80 domains i should remove them and add them again
that is not what i want. Moreover i dont want to mofidy the code of
ISPconfig so i can easily apply updates .

The remaining option is to create two masters - One managed by
ISPconfig and the second   master that will be
rsyncing/syncing/sshing/whatever to the ISPconfig master everytime the
CP is doing rndc reload.

That's all..

There's another question how to sync those servers but as I said i'll
probably make a simple crontab under the ISPconfig entry with "rndc
reload" like :

rsync /etc/bind/mymaster_zones
bind@my_second_master_server.com::/masterzones &&  ssh
my_second_master_server.com 'rndc reload'

I think it will be a good way to manage all the things together .

The probable time of having my servers "unsynced" will be about 0,5
sec or something like that that is acceptable for me.

Regards.

--
Wojciech Ziniewicz
Unix SEX :{look;gawk;find;sed;talk;grep;touch;finger;find;fl