Re: Changing the default simlink to sh [was: Password file with over 3000 users.]

--On September 27, 2007 6:53:16 AM +1000 Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 09:48:17AM -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 07:55:02PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> BSD systems have their own non-GNU versions of standard utilities, so
> sh scripts from linux often wont work on *bsd anyway.  and vice-versa.

Whoa there.  That needs some backing up.  My understanding, based on
having read the man and info pages for lots of GNU utilities, is that
the GNU folks go to great lengths to preserve compatibility with
traditional Unix utilities.

with which particular implementations? each vendor had (and still has)
their own versions with not-quite-compatible command-line switches and
sometimes even incompatible file & output formats.

the GNU versions are the only ones that are standard across multiple
unix-like operating systems.

I'll totally agree here. Cant' tell you how many times I've had a Makefile fail from various open source projects because of flags sent to mv and/or cp being different, or non-existent on *BSD (FreeBSD mostly).