Re: Changing the default simlink to sh [was: Password file with over 3000 users.]

On Sep 26, 2007, at 7:48 AM, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:

Whoa there.  That needs some backing up.  My understanding, based on
having read the man and info pages for lots of GNU utilities, is that
the GNU folks go to great lengths to preserve compatibility with
traditional Unix utilities.

It doesn't work that way in practice. I can name off numerous differences in low-level tools between Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, BSD, Linux and lord knows what else.

For those using multiple OS's it's a fact of life, and has been for two decades. Only newbies get frustrated by it. Everyone else just deals with it, since they ARE different OS's after all...

tar is one of the biggest "offenders", being quite different on almost every Unix platform.

--
Nate Duehr
nate@natetech.com