Re: Password file with over 3000 users.

Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:

Please see my reply to Craig's message.  Compilers fall into exactly the
same boat.

Compilers have been "broken" in various ways since the beginning of time. Devs are used to it. Additionally most compiler breakage gets fixed with a patch that provides (yet another) switch option to re-enable the "brokenness" for those that require it until they can fix their software, at least for a while. You can deprecate things in a compiler.

I would counter that if bash is to be replaced, it should be officially deprecated for at LEAST one full release cycle, if not two.

Nate