Re: Password file with over 3000 users.

On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 06:18:36PM +0200, Maximilian Wilhelm wrote:
> Am Sunday, den 23 September hub Matus UHLAR - fantomas folgendes in die Tasten:
>
> > I don't think it's annoying. I feel annoyed bu many distros expecting
> > /bin/sh to be bash, bringing up meny incompatibilities with FreeBSD and
> > Solaris.
>
> So bash cannot do things FreeBSD or Solaris sh can?

No.  His point was that bash does some things that sh can't (or does
differently) and that expecting sh everywhere to behave like bash is
wrong and broken.

> > I'm for complete replacing of bash with dash, making dash essential
> > (and bash not essential) and I've used dash (and ash, which was its previous
> > name) since I've found it in debian distribution...
>
> > I think that bash is bloatware.
>
> Now *you* would break compability.
> Sure, it's the problem of the user who wrote a script which uses
> bashism and uses /bin/sh as shebang, but *you* would make it break.
>
> What about using "#!/usr/bin/env sh" for all script which have to be
> sh-compliant?

Umm, because that would be pointless.  If /bin/sh is a symlink to bash,
it doesn't matter how you invoke it, you get bash.

Regards,

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sánchez