Re: Backup from huge Maildirs

El Tuesday 18 September 2007 15:25:33 Seth Mattinen escribió:

> Although it seems everyone picks on hardware RAID vs. software RAID, and
> seems to prefer software RAID, decent hardware controllers do have
> generous battery backed caches software RAID can't typically match.

I prefer software raid because it's a lot cheaper, "more or least" give the
same performance (if you use good SAS or SATA controlers) and easier to
replace/repair in case of failure.

Battery backed caches does not help you in case of motherboard die or power
suply switch-off, because if you use any "decent" FS over it, it will not be
in sync when light goes out. Thats why newer fs support point-in-time
techniques, like metadata storage, journaling, etc.

--
Saludos.

Raúl Alexis Betancor Santana
Dimensión Virtual S.L.