Re: Software RAID (was [OT] 19"/2U Cases)

Am 2007-08-30 12:32:44, schrieb Michael Loftis:
> Have you seen SMART successfully predict or even notice an issue in
> production?  We have drives go out all the time, many/most with SMART
> monitoring and smartd enabled, but never have we had SMART notice anything
> going wrong.  And I'm talking more than just single read errors, drives
> that became complete bricks without warning from SMART.  I don't have much
> faith in it as I've not yet seen it work and predict any failure at all.

For 12 days two of my provate FileServer failed...
One was with a 3Ware 3W8500 and the other with three 80 GByte PATA drives.

On the later one I had "smartd" running and it has never reported any
problems/smart-errors.  After I have added a Hitachi 320 GByte SATA2
Disk I rebooted and the PC-BIOS warned my @startup that a SMART error
was detected on the first (Samsung SP0802N) dive and I should backup
my Data...

I have lost all data from this day, since I got only the LILO spla-
shscreen and then 0x01 ...  No booting possibel!

HOW can such errors happen?

Note:  I have Backups, but since I have rearranged the Server, I am now
       missing arround 12 GByte of important data.  This is, WHY I my
       original question is NOW more important since I need a new and
       better Server WHERE even a NON-Linux-Geek can change a failed
       Hardrive.

       Even my 7 years old daughter know, HOW to change a Hotswap drive
       -- she has already done this last year where I was in Iran...

       With a Software Raid, she will be overloaded...
       (even her older sister)

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)