Re: Webserver Redundacy

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 08:52:36AM +1000, Julian De Marchi wrote:
> > Except that by default DNS will use a round-robin approach for multiple
> > A records.  So, 50% of the requests will go one server and the other 50%
> > to the other server.  Is that what you want?  If not, you probably want
> > something like fake and/or heartbeat.
>
> Load balancing is not the issues, but the website given has put some *good*

DNS-based round-robin "load balancing" is pretty useless for what you
want. it doesn't give you redundancy, if one server goes down then half
the requests will fail.

> ideas in my head. I think the heart beat will be the solution I will
> look into to, because either way I will have NS1, NS2, NS3 or NS4 to
> check for the availability of my WWW and MX servers. So the heartbeat
> will always be ticking away.

i suggest you look into LVS anyway....by the time you've got heartbeat set up,
you've already done about two-thirds of the work needed to get load-balancing
working as well.  with a little bit more work, you get load-balancing as well
as just failover.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

"If there is only one Creator who made the tiger and the lamb,
 the cheetah and the gazelle, what is He playing at?  Is he a
 sadist who enjoys spectator blood sports? ... Is he manuvering
 to maximize David Attenborough's television ratings?"
        [Richard Dawkins, "River Out of Eden"]