Re: META what are questions for debian-isp ?

also sprach Dan MacNeil <dan@thecsl.org> [2007.01.09.1428 +0100]:
> Martin Kraft (who is ordinarily one of my idols) remarked that problems
> related to:
>
> 	rm -rf /dev/hda
>
> ..was not a fit question for debian-isp
>
> Why?

Well, debian-isp is for topics related to ISPs, such as questions
relating to problems with large user databases, RADIUS, large-scale
infrastructure, etc.

Your question seemed related more to a general Linux problems. Since
ISPs also get bitten by regular Linux problems, such questions
aren't off-topic per se, but they are probably more suited to more
general forums, such as debian-user, where more users with
potentially the same problem can help with or be helped by your
asking of the question.

debian-isp is a low-traffic mailing list with some very experienced
people. If you run into a tough problem as an ISP, chances are high
you'll find help here. If the traffic increases beyond a certain
level, I am afraid some of the high profile folks here might
unsubscribe.

This is only my opinion, and I am by no means authoritative. I did
not mean to tell you off or to give you a bad conscience. I think
(and hope) that your question was answered nevertheless.

"if a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port, and the bus is
 interrupted at a very last resort, and the access of the memory makes
 your floppy disk abort, then the socket packet pocket has an error to
 report."
                                                      -- <speedstream>