Re: Suggestions for a greylisting proxy?

>> I configured spey with a separate IP. Use mail.yourdomain.foo for your
>> users and mailin.yourdomain.foo as MX record. Configure spey to listen
>> to mailin only.
>
> This was one of my first ideas, but I tossed it out because I figured
> that spammers wouldn't pay attention to MX records and just spam to
> every DNS name that resolved to anything.

no, I don't think they do. On "every DNS name" they simply don't know
which usernames to spam to. And its quite common that the correct mail
receiving server for yourdomain.foo isn't mail.yourdomain.foo but
bigbox.yourprovider.foo.

> Do you have any numbers detailing the amount of mail you still get
> incoming on your non-MX address? And what percentage of that is spam?

Sorry, no real figures. I just can say that for my own domain spam
dropped from about 50/day to 0-1/day without any further filtering. And
I left mail.domain.foo unchanged, just configured an additional
mailin.domain.foo for greylisting and changed the MX to it.
Interestingly, the drop in spam took about 1-2 month to complete, so I
guess that most spambots somehow cache the servers they want to connect to.

  Claus

--
CHECON   EDV-Consulting und Redaktion
         Claus Herwig * Barer Straße 70 * 80799 München