Re: two bind9 masters

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 04:16:45PM +0200, Wojciech Ziniewicz wrote:
> What are the pros and cons of having two master DNS servers for one
> zone holding identical data for this zone ?
> I mean the RFC and practical point of view.
> What are Your opinions .

As long as you have a way to keep them up to date and in sync then
that is your business, and it's fine.  AXFR is not mandated as the
method.

The pros depend on your reasons for doing this.  The most obvious
con is that it's going to be a lot easier to end up with
inconsistent data unless you are careful.

Depending on your reasons for doing this it may be better to use
a different nameserver, like powerdns with a mysql backend and mysql
replication for keeping in sync, for example.  Without you saying
why you want to do this it is hard to speculate.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB