Re: two bind9 masters

On 10/10/2007, at 4:19 PM, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 04:16:45PM +0200, Wojciech Ziniewicz wrote:
Hi all,
What are the pros and cons of having two master DNS servers for one
zone holding identical data for this zone ?
I mean the RFC and practical point of view.
What are Your opinions .

I think that this may only work in the case of using something like
ldap2dns.

I see no reason why this will not work... although probably not practical.

The setup that I am used to is a hidden primary, and two secondaries.

The two secondaries are the servers which are entered into the
registries databases and queried by the Internet users.

The primary is only used for admin purposes like changing dns records, etc and the two secondaries grab their info from there - no need to copy the zones back and forth all the time. - Although you still need to copy of the list
of zone files across...

Andrew