Re: [semi-OT] Dead Tyan machine??

On Sun, Sep 30, 2007 at 12:51:39AM -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-09-30 at 00:30 -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
>
> Was it dead after a reboot or just died on it's own?  If the prior, then
> could this possibly be due to a dead onboard CMOS battery?

When I found it, it was probably hung.  I have no monitors near that
rack, so I did not look at the machine's state.  I then rebooted and
then it came back with the beeping I described (one-second interval, the
beeps themselves being about a half-second long).  After that, I carted
a monitor over to it and that was when I was unable to get any video to
the monitor.  However, the monitor and keyboard both work since I was
able to plug them into the server just above it and have them work.

Any idea on how to trouble shoot the CMOS battery?  I'd hate to ship a
whole server or buy a whole new one if that is the only problem.

Incidentally, I forgot to mention that when I tried to power on the
machine with the case open, I noticed near the left-rear of the
motherboard (noted while standing in front of the server) two seven
segment displays that quickly display "44" when the power first comes
one and then switch to "C1".  I am not sure if this some sort of
diagnostic or something.

Regards,

-Roberto

--