Re: [semi-OT] Dead Tyan machine??

Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Today I found that one of my Tyan machines was dead.  It is a gt20b2865.
> I've tried pulling the RAM and hard drives and turning it on.  However,
> there is no video at all.  I tried plugging the RAM and hard drives back
> in and again, no video.  It emits a somewhat high-pitched beep at about
> one-second intervals.  I suspect a fried motherboard, but at this point
> I am not sure.  Can anyone with experience with Tyan machines confirm or
> refute my suspicion based on the behavior I am observing?
>
> Much appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Roberto

The beeping is usually an indication of dead memory, but as you say it
could be the board as well. There is also a chance it could be the CPU
but on most boards you need to at least get CPU initialization before
you can get any output from the speaker. You said you removed the memory
but have you also tried with other memory as no memory, and failed
memory could possibly give the same result. possibly try one stick at a
time if you have multiple pieces installed and see how that goes.

Dave