Re: Password file with over 3000 users.

--On September 18, 2007 6:41:10 PM +0200 Emmanuel Halbwachs <Emmanuel.Halbwachs@obspm.fr> wrote:

Hello,

Marc Schiffbauer a écrit (Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 06:24:34PM +0200) :
Installing nscd might be worth a try.
I *can* speedup your system.

nscd *sigh* ... As we use LDAP, we need this beast that crashes
happily several times a day.

We're experieincing occasional nscd crashes in our newest etch based systems, but never in the older ones. and the fact that nscd is doing any sort of persistence bugs me too, it shouldn't. when it crashes on our webservers the slapd then starts to work really really hard keeping up with all the requests.

We need a every-5' cronjob to restart it if it has disappeared.

  rm -f /var/db/nscd/*; /etc/init.d/nscd start

In other words: I can't really recommend nscd.
YMMV.

--
Emmanuel Halbwachs
Resp. Réseau/Sécurité                    Observatoire de Paris-Meudon