Re: incremental backups via ftp

Chistian wrote:
>    * I've written a shellscript (sh) generating .tar files on-the-fly
>      while uploading to the backup server (tar | ncftpput).
>  	- good, because no local backupspace is need (which might
>            not be available anyway)
>  	- I failed to get incremental backup working, so the daily
>            backup process took longer and longer as the /webspace grew
>            (~6h!), also the ftp server occasionally closed the connection
>  	  because the backups took so long.

In this case you could do something like:

 touch new
 find /webspace -newer timestamp > list
 tar -T list ...
 mv new timestamp

Regards,
/Karl

Karl Hammar                    Aspö Data               karl@aspodata.se
Lilla Aspö 2340                                                Networks
S-742 94 Östhammar          +46  173 140 57                   Computers
Sweden                     +46  70 511 97 84                 Consulting