Re: Dual ADSL modems

2007/8/13, Julian De Marchi <julian@jdcomputers.com.au>:
> Hi,
>
> What I am about to ask I know is not Debian related, but I am hopping to
> discover someone who has familiar experience in what I am trying to
> accomplish. :)
>
> What I want to setup is a redundancy for my ADSL connection. Here is the
> scenario.
>
> I have 1 ADSL connection with a subnet of 8 ips. My ADSL modem sometime
> *freezes* or *drops out* for no reason. I have setup a dial in
> connection so I can software reboot the modem, but what I would like to
> have is two ADSL modems. This way when one drops out, the other can kick
> in with out affecting emails, hosting and so on.
>
> I know you can not run two adsl connections on the same line, and this
> is not what I would like to achieve.
>
> The ultimate solution which I would like is to have nagios constantly
> checking the active to modem to see if it is online. Then when it goes
> offline, just use a nagios plugin to send a command to tell the other
> modem to  connect.
>
> I know this most likely could not be done, but I have asked the right
> bunch of people for suggestions right (being Debian ISP), I do run
> Debian Etch, and I have about 5 dialup users.
>
> Any suggestions, links or anything to point me in the right direction
> for some information would be great!!!! I hope I have been specific enough.
>
> Kind regards,
>

> Julian De Marchi
>
> (My internet does not drop out *that* often, but I like to have
> redundancies where possible!)

Two things :
- write your own plugin in nagios ( it's about 5 lines in perl) or
find out if You can define custom commands to be run when your host
goes down
- write this command to manage an outage situation. You will probably
need LWP package of perl (to write an agent to log into the second
adsl modem and power it up ) or just a script logging by
telnet/whatever to the second adsl modem .

As I remember , defining custom commands on "alert" in nagios is very
simple so the point will be to write this command.

regardz.

p.s. all in all it's much safer to make your ADSL line/modem stable ;)

--
Wojciech Ziniewicz
Unix SEX :{look;gawk;find;sed;talk;grep;touch;finger;find;fl