Re: remote online replacement of fedora with debian

On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 09:38:41AM +1000, Glenn Hocking wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have a few remote Fedora systems that I want to replace with Debian. I
> have no physical access and the providers of these servers will not load
> Debian.
>
> Has anyone been successful in doing an remote online replacement of Fedora
> with Debian (any version).

What you want is a chroot install.  I did this a while back with some
Red Hat 8 systems to transition them to Woody.  Basically, you create
a small alternate / parition for your Debian base system (or you can use
the existing system's swap if no additional space is available).  You
install the base system and a kernel, boot from it and then use the old
system's partitions for your new system.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez