Re: Metric system

On Wed, 2007-07-04 02:51:27 -0700, Joe Emenaker <joe@emenaker.com> wrote:
> Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> > I believe that the kilogram is still defined by "the mass of that lump
> > of metal in Sèvres (near Paris, France)".
>
> Well, back in my Physics classes, they said that it was "defined" as the
> the mass of 1 cubic decimeter of water at 4-degrees Celsius (when water
> is most-dense)... which is also a milliliter. That lump in France is
> probably because it's so much more stable than a jug of water (ie,
> evaporation, etc).

The "lump of metal" definition is what's currently used. However, as
it seems, this reference and all copies are a moving target and change
their weight.  There are several task forces ongoing to prepare a new
definition.

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw@lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:              Fortschritt bedeutet, einen Schritt so zu machen,