Re: Metric system

Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 06:25:33PM +0200, Anders Breindahl wrote:
Also, the metric system (and to a larger extent, the SI system) has
an arbitrary _base_ unit (ever heard of the one-meter-bar in
Paris?).
Incidentally, that is not the reference anymore. The meter is the
distance that light crosses in absolute vacuum in 1/299,792,458s.
Oh... and *that's* not arbitrary? :P

Originally, it was 1/40,000,000th of the earth's circumference or something like that. But the earth jiggles, so they had to switch to something that holds still. :)
I believe that the kilogram is still defined by "the mass of that lump
of metal in Sèvres (near Paris, France)".
Well, back in my Physics classes, they said that it was "defined" as the the mass of 1 cubic decimeter of water at 4-degrees Celsius (when water is most-dense)... which is also a milliliter. That lump in France is probably because it's so much more stable than a jug of water (ie, evaporation, etc).

- Joe