Re: central logging to a database

Martin Marcher wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we're not exactly an ISP but I guess people subscribed to this list
> are the ones with the best knowledge, feel free to point to the
> appropriate place if i'm absolutely OT
>
> I'm planning on setting up a central log server. I'd like to log
> everything from the last 2 rotations (guess in my case 2 days should
> be enough) locally for a fallback and also log everything to the sql
> database - is that even a smart approach (logging to 2 places, i know
> that i need to know myself how much fallback i need in case the
> central log server goes down)

Hi,

I don't know what you exactly need to log, but here is what I do.

For web, I use mod_log_sql (available in SID, as I did the packaging).

For ftp and mail, we wrote small daemons (mysqmail) that reads the
mail.log and pure-ftpd.log files, and write in real time in the SQL too.

That is a quite nice solution that can scale as much as you want.

Thomas