Re: Bandwidth logging by user

Hi Gavin

Gavin Westwood wrote:
> Hi.  I've been providing hosting and mail services for about a year now,
> and the usage is only now getting high enough that users may be
> exceeding their bandwidth allowances.  The problem is that I haven't
> been able to find a tool in Debian that will report their combined
> usage.  I can work out the http from their website(s) stats

At least with average webhosting that's not really true. User can cause
traffic not caught by Apache (or whatever httpd is used). Just think of
fopen() URL wrappers in PHP etc. You might end up with more *incoming*
than outgoing traffic...

> and their
> mail usage from adding up Exim, and Courier POP3/IMAP, but it's an
> annoying manual process, so I haven't bothered.  Can anyone point me
> towards a package/packages that can do this?  Being able to
> automatically email on exceeding of allowance would be a plus.
>
> On a separate note I use vsftp for the ftp services, but am finding it
> inflexible (e.g. want to have a site with anon read-only access for
> downloads, as well as user secured as normal for their own websites).
> Can anyone recommend another more flexible ftp server that still has a
> good security record and will be picked up by the stats reporting
> package required above?

Well. never used vsftp. Maybe pureFTPd is worth a look. You've got to
get used to the way it get's configured but after that it jsut runs like
a charm.

Norbert