RE: Debian Exim 4.63 / Greylisting

Hi Ward

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Ward Vandewege [mailto:ward@pong.be]
Sent: 04 June 2007 03:18 PM
To: Craig Schneider
Cc: debian-isp@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Debian Exim 4.63 / Greylisting

Hi Craig,

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 02:37:59PM +0200, Craig Schneider wrote:
> We have installed Exim 4.63 on our Debian Etch system, with
greylisting.

Do you use greylistd or postgrey? I've found greylistd can't cope with
moderate load (couple hundred thousand connections/day), it will just
die.
Postgrey + exim works just fine for loads well over
500K/connections/day.

> The greylist config script put an entry in the begginning of the ACL
> section and I was wondering if it would not perhaps be better after
> the sender verfy? AFAIK sender verify's are less expensive checks,
> compared to greylisting?

I do greylisting first, and then sender verification. The latter
generates extra traffic and generates load on other people's
mailservers. Greylisting is very lightweight and certainly a lot quicker
than sender verification, particularly if the remote mailserver is
slow/far away/misconfigured.

> My thinking is to have the sender_verffy happening first. If the
> address can be verified then it gets passed to greylistd else it gets
dropped.

I'd do it the other way around.

Thanks,
Ward.

--
Pong.be         -(   "Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to
)-