Re: mysterious (futex)-hangs with pgsql authentication

also sprach Brett Parker <iDunno@sommitrealweird.co.uk> [2007.05.20.1136 +0200]:
> Have you installed nscd? If not, try installing that - it may fix
> the hang you mention later...

This does indeed get rid of the hang but I won't consider it a fix.
:)

also sprach Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org> [2007.05.21.0213 +0200]:
> The nss routines in nss-psql appear to be not completely thread
> safe. My best guess of what is happening is that user krafft does
> something that causes an nss lookup.  This fails to find an entry
> in passwd, and consults postgres.  postgres has an ident sameuser
> line in pg_hba.conf, triggering an nss lookup.

Except that postgres is contacted via 127.0.0.1:5432 and a password,
so

  host    users        all              0.0.0.0/0        md5

is the stanza used.

> FWIW, we've recently moved alioth to using nss_updatedb as
> a result of symptoms exactly like this.  Various people have
> talked about working with the new upstream version of nss-pgsql to
> see if it does any better, but I don't know if they have working
> packages yet.

Ah, thanks for the info. nscd will do the job nicely. In our
environment, if the SQL database is down, it's hardly worth to keep
machines running.

"one should never trust a woman who tells her real age.
 if she tells that, she will tell anything."
                                                        -- oscar wilde