logrotate strangeness (nothing worrisome however)

I've noticed something strange with logrotate, looking for insight and
explanation if you have one.

ls -1 /var/log/syslog*  shows:

	/var/log/syslog
	/var/log/syslog.0
	/var/log/syslog.1.gz
	/var/log/syslog.2.gz
	/var/log/syslog.3.gz
	/var/log/syslog.4.gz
	/var/log/syslog.5.gz
	/var/log/syslog.6.gz

which tells me that delaycompress is delaying the gzipping of .0 until
the next rotation.  This is nice and works as expected.

However, ls -1 /var/log/apache2/access* shows:

	/var/log/apache2/access.log
	/var/log/apache2/access.log.1
	/var/log/apache2/access.log.2.gz
	/var/log/apache2/access.log.3.gz
	/var/log/apache2/access.log.4.gz
	/var/log/apache2/access.log.5.gz

/etc/logrotate.d/apache contains this:

	---------------------
	/var/log/apache2/*.log {
	        weekly
	        missingok
	        rotate 6
	        compress
	        delaycompress
	        notifempty
	        create 640 root adm
	        sharedscripts
	        postrotate
	                if [ -f /var/run/apache2.pid ]; then
	                        /etc/init.d/apache2 restart > /dev/null
	                fi
	        endscript
	}

Why do apache logs rotate from blah to blah.1 whereas syslog rotates
from syslog to syslog.0?

Tia,

-Jim P.